Friday, October 30, 2015

Reflection on Paper 2

https://pixabay.com/en/thought-bubble-think-comic-blank-305053/

Now that I have finally completed paper two, it's time to reflect upon the good and the bad.

One thing I wish that I could have done differently is get more feedback from others on my paper. It felt like in some cases people would make suggestions, but what they suggested were things I had already done in the next sentence. It made it difficult to determine if what I was saying was not clear, or if people just didn't read it through all the way. However, this was not the case for every comment made, but it happened enough for me to get a little frustrated with my paper.

Furthermore, I learned a lot about the importance of rhetoric and rhetorical analysis. Rhetoric is everywhere, and even though we might not realize it sometimes, we use it daily. It is important to understand how information, images, novels, etc. influence our opinions and thoughts on a day to day basis. A rhetorical analysis helps us to understand how we are influenced, as well as what the author's purpose was for doing so. I can apply these lessons to my other classes by questioning myself why we are learning what we are in class, or why my professors teach things in a certain way. For instance, does this teaching style make it more beneficial? Is this lecture interactive and if so, is it useful in understanding the topics or ideas?

Lastly, I feel that this paper was more successful than the last (well, hopefully). In general, I was more comfortable with the form of this paper (essay instead of QRG), and with what I was supposed to be writing about/analyzing. During the last paper, I was always tempted to argue my points and use the sources as evidence for a controversy analysis instead of analyze the rhetoric behind the sources. However, when I wrote this paper, I knew that I was supposed to purely focus on rhetoric.

Overall, while paper two may have given me one too many headaches, I truly enjoyed learning about HONY and the different people that Brandon Stanton photographed. :-)

I commented on Gabi'sCati's, and Delanee's posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment